10 Things To Never Keep in Your Bedroom – ESL Lesson
For most teenagers their bedroom is a sanctuary.
It’s a place of privacy and escape from school, family, friends and the stresses of every day life.
This ESL lesson will improve your English speaking ability and offer ideas on how to optimize your bedroom for better sleep and health.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. Do you think he’s studying or reading a fiction novel?
2. Is he lying on a twin, double, queen, or king bed?
3. Why are his feet up in the air?
4. Is he at the start of his book?
5. Do you like to read alone on your bed too?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. Do you have your own bedroom?
2. How would you describe your bed or sleeping mattress?
- Very comfortable
3. If you share your room, with whom do you share it?
- My brother
- My sister
- My parents
- My grandparents
- Someone else
4. Describe your bedroom. Choose all that apply.
- It has pictures on the walls
- It has a desk
- It has a window
- It has a mirror
- It has a computer
- It has a sofa
- It has carpet
- It has more than one bed
- It has a TV
- It has a radio
5. How do you keep your room cool in the summer?
- I have a window that opens
- I have a fan
- I have an air conditioner
- I have no way to keep it cool
6. Is your bedroom smaller or larger than your sibling’s bedroom?
7. Are you satisfied with the size or your bedroom?
8. How often does your mother ask you to clean your bedroom?
- Every day
- Once a week
- Once a month
- Once a year
9. Do you hang out with your friends in your bedroom?
10. How many hours a day do you spend in your bedroom? (not including sleeping)
- 0-1 hours
- 1-2 hours
- 2-3 hours
- 3-4 hours
- 4-5 hours
- 5 + hours per day
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. Describe three or more things they are doing in the bedroom.
2. Whose bedroom would you guess it is and why?
3. Which person’s position would you feel most comfortable being in?
Below is a list of 10 things that are recommended a person should never keep inside their bedroom for safety, sleeping and sanitary reasons.
Read through the list of things below and think of some reasons why these items were NOT recommended.
If you could only choose 3 of the 10 items to have in your room, which items would you eliminate and why? Be prepared to discuss your reasons with your teacher and peers.
10 Things To Never Keep in Your Bedroom
- Alarm Clock
- Electric or gas heaters
- Excessive light
- Cell phones