13 Things to Do Before You Turn 23
Remember turning 18? Feels like yesterday, doesn’t it?
But you’re still young and haven’t graduated college, so technically you’re not a proper grown up yet
This lesson will improve your English and remind you of 13 things you need to tick off your list before you turn 23.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo – 13 Things to Do Before You Turn 23
1. Is this person alone in the tent?
2. How would you describe the view?
3. How long might it take to walk down to the lake?
4. Do you think he slept with the ten fly open or closed?
5. What wildlife should he be aware of in this area?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It – 13 Things to Do Before You Turn 23
1. How many blind dates have you had?
- More than five
2. What can you cook (without any help)?
- Instant noodles
- Dinner for my family
- All of the above
- Some of the above
- None of the above
3. Where have you camped under the stars (with or without a tent)?
- My backyard
- I haven’t tried camping yet
4. What charities have you given to, if any?
- Health charities
- Animal charities
- Environmental charities
- Education charities
- International NGOs
- Arts and Cultural charities
- Community development charities
- Religions charities
- Other charities
- None yet
5. What exotic food have you eaten (from another country with an unpronounceable name)?
6. What type of ridiculously expensive piece of clothing have you bought?
- Nothing yet
7. Have you ever died your hair a completely different colour? If not, what colour would you try?
- Different colour
8. Have you had a one to one conversation with a person from a different religious faith?
- Not yet
9. Have you ever bought dinner for your parents? (no including your siblings)
- Not yet
10. What adrenaline sports have you tried?
- Scuba diving
- White water rafting
- Cliff diving
- Bungee jumping
- Hand gliding
- Rock or ice climbing
- None yet
Part III: Share Your Opinions – 13 Things to Do Before You Turn 23
Discuss the Photo
1. Are they all wearing life vests?
2. Who do you think got wet first?
3. Which spot would you take on this raft?
Below are 13 things try before you turn 23. Read through the list and select the ones you’ve done and the ones you haven’t done yet.
For the ones you’ve done, tell your instructor and peers a story about each one. Then share with them which ones you haven’t done and why.
- Take your parents out to dinner
- Learn to cook one international dish
- Go on a blind date
- Dye your hair a totally different colour
- Try an adrenaline sport
- Camp out under the stars
- Eat an exotic food
- Buy a very expensive piece of clothing
- Travel alone somewhere at least once
- Do something that terrifies you
- Give money to charity
- Have a chat with someone from a different religion
- Vote in the next election
Did this lesson engage your students? Kindly leave a comment below and share this lesson.