“Seowon University” is looking for well qualified and highly motivated assistant professors.
Division of Liberal Arts, Seowon University
Location: Cheongju, Republic of Korea
Watch a university promotional video: (click on image to open video page)
1. Position: Assistant professor of Division of Liberal Arts(non-tenure track)
2. Openings: 3
(1) Native speaker of English
(2) MA with college-level(or full-time instructor for elementary school, middle school, high school) teaching experience more than 2 years (or BA with an excellent qualification in college-level teaching(or full-time instructor for elementary school, middle school, high school) experience more than 4 years)
(3) Degrees in English, Education, Linguistics (preferred)
(4) TESOL/TEFL certificate (preferred)
4. Main Responsibilities:
– Division of Liberal Arts –
(1) To teach general English conversation classes (Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced)
(Assistant professors may be given extra hours upon request of the university : Average 4 hours a week)
(2) To teach at least 14 hours a week during each semester
(3) To teach English summer and winter school programs (up to 5days a week)
5. Payment and Overtime Allowance:
(1) (BA holders)The annual salary for an assistant professor is 28,800,000won+Incentive( min: 0 ~ max: 3,000,000)=28,800,000~31,800,000won
(2) (MA Degree or Ph degree holders : except for Korean MA or Ph): 28,800,000won + Degree Allowance(200,000*12months) + Incentive(min: 0 ~ max: 3,000,000) = 31,200,000 ~ 34,200,000won
(3) Overtime rate is determined as same amount of money as the other Korean regular Professors get : depending on University’s policy
(4) Seniority allowance at Seowon University : up to Seowon¡¯s policy.
* This is only about Seowon University teaching experience
(5) Health Insurance: The assistant professor must join the Korea Teachers’ Pension Fund and pay a portion of the monthly premium according to the Korea Teachers’ Pension Law.
(6) Taxes: The assistant professor must pay any applicable Korean taxes as required by law.
6. Vacation: 8 weeks paid vacation per year (4 weeks after the summer school; 4 weeks after the winter school)
(1) University provides the Assistant Professor with certain amount of money as support fund for his/her housing. ( The Assistant Professor can find own place)
It would be subject to taxation.
(2) The amount of money is in accordance with University’s policy.
(3) If an Assistant Professor resign before the expiration date of contract, the assistant professor must return the rest of housing money(corresponding to the remain contract period) to Seowon University.
8. Contract Duration: March 1, 2017 – February 28, 2018
The contract is renewable upon successful completion.
9. Application Process:
(1) First Step: Paper Screening via e-mail
(2) Second Step: Interview : A face-to-face interview is required.
10. Application Schedule
(1) Application period: 2017.02.09.~2017.02.17.
(2) Evaluation of works (review process): 2017.02.09.~02.17.
(3) Interview: 2017.02.13.~01.21.
– Candidates : In-person interview, Be ready to present a 15 minutes demo class
¡Ø Announcement of successful candidates: Successful candidates will be notified by phone or e-mail.
11. Documents Required for Application
– Resume with a cover letter
– A copy of alien registration card for those who are currently living in Korea
– A copy of passport (photo page)
– A copy of diploma(s), transcript(s) and letter of employment(s)
– A copy of TESOL/TEFL certificate (only for applicants who have it)
– A letter of release (only for applicants who are currently working in Korea)
– Two letters of recommendation
– Two Copies of Criminal Record Check Result of own country(Apostilled criminal record check required for successful candidates only except for F4 Visa holders)
12. Contact Information
Tel: +82-43-299-8215(Division of Liberal Arts/Academic office)
Address: Division of Liberal Arts
Seowon University , 377-3 Musimseo-ro, Seowon-gu
Cheongju-si, Chungbuk 28674
Republic of Korea
* Please send the application by e-mail. *