How to Make Your Weekend Feel Longer – ESL Speaking Lesson
Weekends are about relaxing and having fun.
Friday tends to be the happiest day of the week for most people, but Sunday is the saddest.
Why Sunday and not Monday? Because on Sundays most people start dreading going back to school or work. On Monday we just accept it since it has already arrived.
What do you enjoy most about the weekends?
This ESL lesson will improve your English conversation skill and help you get the most out of your weekend so it just feels longer.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1.Where do you think they’re going?
2. What’s inside the compartments on the right wall?
3. Do you think they belong to a private or public school?
4. What’s that item on the floor near the door?
5. What do you think of their school uniforms?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. What are you looking forward to doing this weekend?
- Watching TV
- Listening to music
- Seeing friends
- Visiting relatives
- Playing sports
2. How often do your teachers assign your homework to complete on the weekend?
3. If it’s raining on the weekend, what do you normally do
- Call up friends and hang out in a coffee shop
- Movie marathon at my house!
- Nap on and off all day
- It’s raining? I didn’t notice. I do what I normally do
- Shopping! With or without friends
- Eat, sleep, read, TV, eat, music, sleep.
- Go for a walk. I LOVE the rain!
4. How many hours of school work/study will you do this weekend?
5. How many hours later do you “sleep in” on weekends compared to school days?
- 1 hour
- 2 hours
- 3 hours
- 4 hours
- 5 hours
- More than 5 hours
6. Who do you usually spend most of your weekends with?
- School friends
- Neighbourhood friends
- Church friends
7. What do you do differently on Saturdays versus Sundays?
- I go to church
- I do homework
- I sleep in later
- I visit relatives
- I stay inside
8. What do your parents NOT expect you to do on most weekends?
- Clean room
- Go to church
- Visit relatives
- Get up early
- Help cook dinner
9. Do you think the weekend is long enough?
- Yes, of course
- No way!
10. On Monday mornings I feel:
- Well rested
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. What is the family eating and drinking for dinner?
2. Shouldn’t the father be doing the barbecuing?
3. Does your family have barbecues every weekend?
4. How many long weekends (3 days) do you get per year in your country?
5. Is there anything you dislike about weekends? (Think hard)
6. Is it fair for kids to have to attend school on Saturdays if their parents are off work?
7. How do you feel about teachers who give you homework on Friday to complete by Monday?
8. Do you spend regular weekends differently than long weekends? For example, travel, etc.
9. How would you feel if retail stores were closed by 3:00 pm on Sundays in your country?
10. Describe your perfect weekend? What would you do, who would you see, where would you go?