Company Events: Love Them or Loathe Them?
If you’re like a lot of people, you might not be too thrilled to attend company parties and events.
You might enjoy drinking or socializing with friends and neighbours, but when it comes to doing the same with your co-workers, you’re less enthused.
No matter how unenthusiastic you may be, going to your office holiday party or having dinner with colleagues is good for your career.
This ESL lesson will improve your English conversation skills and help you make the most out of corporate events.
Part I: Let’s Chat About the Photo
1. Where do you think these people are?
2. What do you think they’re celebrating?
3. Who is holding the microphone?
4. Who appears a little ‘tipsy’?
5. Do you enjoy singing with colleagues?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. How often do you have dinner with coworkers?
Once a week
Once a month
Once a year
2. How many drinks do you have when you go out with your team?
2 or more
I’m not a drinker.
3. Do you go out for drinks with your boss?
4. Do you go out for drinks with customers, vendors or partners?
5. Does your company have office parties?
6. What kinds of events does your company celebrate?
New customer acquisitions
New business deals
New office openings
New employee hires
7. How often do you attend business mixers?
8. Do you bring your spouse to company functions?
9. Have you ever gone for a 2-3 day company retreat away from your office?
10. How do you feel about these kinds of events?
I enjoy them
I dislike them
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. Which person is being acknowledged?
2. What are the staff celebrating?
3. Do you envy the man in the blue tie? Why or why not?
4. What kind of alcohol are they drinking?
5. What types of gifts will the man receive?
6. Have you ever given a gift to a co-worker, boss or customer?
7. What’s the $ limit for customer gifts before they’re considered a bribe in your country?
8. Have you ever had to sleep at your office because of a late night office party?
9. When is it acceptable to leave from an office party in your country?
10. Will your boss reprimand you if you choose not to attend an office party or team dinner?