Everyone enjoys listening to music for different reasons.
Music can change our mood and make us feel good. If you are happy, happy songs make you happier and if you’re sad, sad songs are comforting.
Can you imagine living your life without the beauty of music?
This ESL lesson will increase your English fluency and evaluate your musical preferences.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. Do you think this is a band rehearsal?
2. Who’s leading the group in song?
3. Why is everybody distracted?
4. What type of guitar is the man playing?
5. What genre of music are they likely enjoying?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. What kind of music do you like?
- Heavy Metal
- Country and Western
2. Who’s your favourite singer or group?
3. Have you been to a live musical concert?
If yes, where was it and who performed?
4. How many CDs or songs have you downloaded?
- 500 – 1,000
5. How often do you visit the singing room? (Karaoke)
6. What’s your favourite song to sing?
7. Have you ever sung in a school or church concert, or choir?
8. What instrument can you play (even a little bit)?
- Traditional instrument (from my country)
9. Have you ever taken private music lessons?
10. If someone in your family wanted to study music in college, would your parents support them?
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. Do you think he’s using a free or paid download site?
2. Does he look like a student or employee?
3. What are the names of some popular download websites in your country?
4. Is it okay to download copyright protected music and music for personal use?
5. What are the top 3 reasons people choose illegal downloads?
6. Do you share content you’ve purchased and then upload it to “torrent sites”?
7. How does downloading mp3 music or movies hurt the creators and their industries?
8. Have you ever gotten a computer virus while downloading from a free website?
9. What is the fine or jail term in your country for downloading and/or distributing illegal content?
10. How would you feel if you created a song, a video or an ebook and others stole it?