How Well Do You Handle Change?
Change is a part of life. It’s how you handle change that directly affect the outcome.
Many times the changes in life that are most stressful are external events over which you may have no control. The causes of stress in your life change as you transition through different situations.
How do you handle change?
Take this ESL lesson and find out!
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. How old would you guess this man is?
2. What exactly do you think he’s doing?
3. Who do you think he’s talking to?
4. What’s could be his occupation?
5. Do you think beards are appropriate for business?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. Do you agree with the proverb that “the only constant in life is change”?
Yes and No
2. What’s your attitude towards ‘work related’ change?
3. Do you know someone who has experience a ‘negative’ personal or work related change recently?
4. Do you know someone who has experienced a ‘positive’ life or work related change recently?
5. Describe 3 changes in your professional life in this past year? Choose each change below that applies to you.
Office location change
Boss or manager change
6. What 1 work change would you like to see happen this year?
A new job
A new boss
A new computer or work station
A new sales territory
A new product or service to sell
A new personal assistant
A new CEO
A new office location
7. Select the most significant change that has occurred in your personal life in the past 12 months.
Change in family plans
Change in children’s’ schooling
Change in home or neighbourhood
Change in vehicle
Change in vacation plans
Change in health
Change in weight
Change in diet
Change in hobby
8. What 1 change in your persona life would you like to occur in the next 12 months?
New vacation plan
New fitness level
9. What’s 1 positive change you can make starting today in either your work or personal life?
10. What’s preventing you from making that change?
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. How are these three people related?
2. What are they thinking about?
3. Who do you think will be the first to speak?
Rank the 3 most stressful life events.Then, share stories about how certain stressful events have affected you, your friends, or your family.
- Marriage Separation
- Spouse’s Death
- Children’s Education
- Injury or Illness
- Financial Debt
- Taking Care of Aging Parents
- Lost Your Job
Did this lesson engage and inspire your students? Kindly leave a comment below and/or share this lesson.
How Well Do You Handle Change? ESL Speaking Lesson