If you’ve dated in middle or high school, you already know there is a lot that goes into it besides just hanging out with someone you like.
Your friends probably get too involved and your parents are overprotective.
These factors can cause a lot of stress in your relationship and are a few of the reasons why many high school love affairs do not last.
This ESL lesson will enhance your English speaking ability and give you a chance to discuss a favourite topic among teens – dating!
Part I: Let’s Chat About the Photo
1. What’s inside the bike basket?
2. Which country do you think they are in?
3. What brands of sunglasses are they wearing?
4. Where do you think the man is going?
5. How do you know they’re a couple?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. What’s your favourite place to go on a date?
2. How many blind dates have you had?
3. On a first date, who should pay the bill?
The couple should split the bill.
4. Describe someone you had a crush on.
5. How many dates should a couple have before getting engaged?
6. Would you feel bad if you don’t have a date on Valentine’s Day?
7. How old should someone be before their parents let them date?
8. Where are the best places to meet someone to date? (choose 3)
At a wedding
At a funeral
9. What’s most important when considering dating someone? (choose 3)
Desire to have children
Sense of humour
Whether or not they like pets
Similar housekeeping standards
Smoker / non-smoker
Sense of fashion
Like the same kind of music as you
Like the same kind of foods as you
10. Is age difference important when dating?
Not at all
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. What are they doing in the picture?
2. How would you describe how they feel?
3. What season would you say it is?
4. What ethnicity is the woman?
5. How do people in your country feel about interracial dating in general?
6. Have you ever dated someone from another race?
7. Would you be open to dating someone of another race?
8. Would your parents support your decision if you chose to date someone from another race?
9. Would you tease a sibling or close friend if they dated someone from another race?
10. Do you think your opinion will change as you get older?