Movies: Why People Love Them. An ESL Speaking Lesson
Everyone loves movies. Movies allow us to escape. Movies take us to places we’ve never been and inside the lives of people we’ve never met before.
Movies offer us a window onto the wider world, broadening our perspective and opening our eyes to new wonders.
How do movies make you feel?
This ESL lesson will increase your English skill and reflect on your favourite movies.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. Does the movie theatre appear full?
2. What type of movie would you say this is?
3. Can you tell if they’re on a date?
4. What’s the woman pointing at?
5. What type of snacks do you eat when you’re at the movies?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. How often do you go to the movies?
- Once a week
- Once a month
- Once a year
- Hardly ever
2. Do you turn off your cell phone when you go to the movie theatre?
3. What are your 3 “all time” favourite movies?
4. Do you download movies from the Internet?
5. Who are your 2 favourite actors?
6. What movie would you like to see?
7. Where do you like to sit in the movie theater?
- Front seats
- Middle seats
- Back seats
8. What foreign movie was banned in your country and why?
9. Do you think there is too much violence, nudity, or coarse language in movies?
10. Do you think the paparazzi should be allowed to stalk movie stars?
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. Describe what’s going on in the picture.
2. Why are they both wearing sunglasses?
3. Where do you think they are coming from?
4. Do you hear more about negative experiences between movie stars and the paparazzi, or positive ones?
5. Should the actions of the paparazzi be allowed? Why or why not?
6. Should the paparazzi not be allowed to harrass celebrities with children?
7. How do the paparazzi put other people at risk or break laws just to get a celebrity picture?
8. Do you think celebrities should just accept the paparazzi? After all, it’s the price of being rich and famous.
9. Would you consider taking a part time job as a paparazzi in your country?
10. In the US there’s a teenage boy who works part time in Los Angeles as a paparazzi. How would you feel if you were his mother?