Rise Up Against Sitting Disease
A sedentary lifestyle is a type of lifestyle with no or irregular physical activity.
A person who lives a sedentary lifestyle may colloquially be known as a couch potato. It is commonly found in both the developed and developing world.
Sedentary activities include sitting, reading, watching television, playing video games, and computer use for much of the day with little or no vigorous physical exercise.
This ESL lesson will improve your English conversation skills and show you ways to get fit!
Part 1: Let’s Chat About the Photo
1. Is he having breakfast, lunch or dinner?
2. Does he appear to be typing with one hand?
3. How many calories would you say are in his french fries?
4. Why isn’t he sitting at his desk?
5. How often do you have meals at your desk?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. How many hours do you sit at your desk per day?
- 11 or more
2. How do you feel at the end of your work day?
- Mentally exhausted
- Physically exhausted
- Both mentally and physically exhausted
- Same as when I started work in the morning
- Stressed out
3. How often do you stretch at the office for each hour you sit at your desk?
- Hardly ever
4. What do you do to combat the hours you spend each day at your desk?
- Go to the gym daily
- Go for 30 minute walks
- Walk instead of drive
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Get off the bus or subway a stop earlier and walk to work or home
- Go for a walk during my lunch hour.
5. Do you think sitting at your desk 6-8 hours per day is worse for your health than smoking?
- Not really
- Absolutely not
6. How would you feel about having a sit/stand workstation?
- Not for me thanks
- It’s interesting, but I doubt I’d stand much
- I’d love to have one
7. When you get home from work do you continue to sit longer?
8. How many steps do you take each day?
9. Do you feel going to the gym for one hour a day will combat sitting 4 or more hours per day at your desk?
10. What things can you implement easily today to lead a more active lifestyle?
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. Should this man be allowed to smoke in his private office?
2. Do you think it’s impossible for him to lose weight because of his job?
3. Do you think it’s easier for him to give up cigarettes or unhealthy food?
4. How many pounds have you gained since high school?
5. Do you have a habit of snacking at your desk?
6. Is obesity a growing problem in your country and what’s causing it?
7. Is diet or exercise more critical to losing weight?
8. If a parent is overweight how likely is it his/her kids will be overweight too?
9. Is obesity a disease or just a bad habit?