Kids like going to school because they can see their friends everyday and learn about new and interesting stuff.
Of course you can learn things by yourself, but in school there are teachers who can help you. You also learn social skills and academic skills in school that help prepare you for the future.
What do you like most about school? Take this ESL lesson and find out!
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. What grade is this young man in?
2. What do you think he’s studying?
3. What time of year do you think it is in this picture? Why?
4. How often do you visit the school library and what do you do there?
5. Is this a public school or a private school?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. Where did you go to elementary school?
2. What’s your favorite subject in school? (any grade)
- Physical Education
3. What clubs do you belong to in school?
- Sports team
- Debate club
- Drama club
- Art club
- Book club
- Language club
4. Tell us about your favorite teacher.
5. How much homework do you do every night?
- 30 minutes or less
- 1 hour
- 2 hours
- More than 2 hours
6. What’s your best memory of elementary or middle school?
7. Do you keep in touch with friends from elementary, middle, or high school?
8. What do you think of school uniforms?
- Love them
- Hate them
- Don’t care
9. What can be done about bullying in schools?
10. Should students be allowed to “rate” teachers at the end of each school year?
- Yes – what questions should they ask?
- No – if no, why?
- Maybe – Why are you undecided?
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. What does it say on the screen?
2. Who do you think wrote those words and why?
3. How would you respond to this message? Would you reply or delete it?
4. Have you ever received a message like this and what did you do about it?
5. Is cyber bullying a problem in your community?
6. Do you know someone in your community who has been bullied?
7. Have you ever been bullied? If yes, where did the bullying take place?
8. How do teachers deal with bullying in your country’s schools?
9. Should parents be held responsible (in a court of law) if their child bullies another child?
10. Do you have “Pink Shirt Day” in your school? (International Day Against Bullying)