Many teenagers eat junk food every day. It could be sugar-sweetened drinks like fizzy drinks or high-calorie snacks like potato chips, chocolate bars, or ice cream.
Junk food is very tasty and addictive and is the leading cause of diabetes and obesity among teens, especially in the US.
Do you crave junk food? If so, what kinds of junk food?
This ESL lesson will improve your English speaking skill and help you examine whether you should reduce your junk food consumption, or not.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. What ingredients are in the snack they’re eating?
2. How much did it cost and who paid for it?
3. How many calories are in this type of snack?
4. What season would you say it is?
5. Why are they sharing instead of each buying their own?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. When was the last time you ate junk food?
- I’m eating it now
- A few minutes ago
- Less than 1 hour ago
- A few hours ago
- A couple of days ago
- Last week
- More than one week ago
2. What’s your favourite junk food?
- Ice cream
3. How often do you eat fast food?
- Once every couple of weeks
- Once a week
- 1-2 times per week
- 3-5 times per week
- 5 or more times per week
4. What’s your favourite fast food restaurant?
- Burger King
- Popeyes Chicken
- Pizza Hut
- Local Franchise
5. What do you enjoy the most about fast food?
- Tastes good
- Open late
6. How do you feel about fast food?
- I wish I could eat it more often
- I eat it too much already
7. I feel unhealthy whenever I eat fast food:
- Strongly agree
- Somewhat agree
8. Do you skip meals and eat junk food instead?
- Hardly ever
9. Do your parents nag you when they see you eating junk food?
10. If your parents ordered you to give up just one junk food for one month, which one could you live without?
- Ice cream
- Fast food
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. How much do you think this boy weighs?
2. How would you describe how he feels?
3. Where is he weighing himself?
4. Should junk foods like chocolate bars, chips and soda machines be allowed in middle/high schools?
5. Do you consider chocolate milk, gatorade, red bull, and fruit juice to be junk food?
6. If kids under 10 years old are obese is it fair for society to blame their parents?
7. Should restaurants be forced to list “calorie counts” on all fast foods menus?
8. What do you think is most harmful to the health of teens between the ages of 12-18? Junk/Fast food, cigarettes, caffeinated drinks, or alcohol?
9. Should the government ban junk food makers from advertising their food products during kids TV shows?
10. After you eat junk food how do you feel? Full, happy, hyper, sluggish, or terrible?
Did you like this ESL Lesson?
[grwebform url=”http://app.getresponse.com/view_webform.js?wid=8853804&u=cWi3″ css=”on”/]