The Campus Couples You’ll Meet in College
Are you prepared for college romance?
There are many different types of couples you’ll see in college over the next four years. Just a few include – the “high school sweethearts” couple, the “best dressed” couple and the “activist” couple.
What other types of couples can you think of?
This ESL lesson will develop your English speaking ability and let you explore the college dating scene.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. How can you tell they’re a couple?
2. What season is it?
3. Are they texting each other?
4. Is it okay to put your feet on public benches in your country?
5. Would you sit in this position with your boyfriend or girlfriend?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. What is your current relationship status?
Single, and not interested in dating
Dating one person casually
Dating several people casually
Dating one person seriously
Single, and looking for a serious relationship/marriage
2. If so, how long have you been in that relationship status?
Over 2 years
3. How would you rate your college dating experience so far?
I’m afraid/nervous to date again.
I’ve met some nice people, but I’m still looking.
There aren’t enough romantic prospects at my university.
I’ve met somebody fantastic and I’m in love.
4. Where are the best places to meet someone to date?
At a bar
Other singles events
Classes & Campus
5. What’s the best way to for you to ask someone out on a date?
6. How do you feel about online dating?
I’m a big fan
I might try it
I’ve secretly tried it
7. What do you look for in a romantic partner?
8. When is it okay to for you to get engaged?
After 1 week of dating
After 2 weeks of dating
After 1 month of dating
After 3 months of dating
After 6 months of dating
After 1 year of dating
After 2 years of dating
9. What things (if any) would absolutely prevent you from dating someone? (choose all that apply)
Choice of major
10. What lessons have you learned (if any) from your dating experiences?
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. Do you think they met in university?
2. Are they waiting for their class to start?
3. What are they both looking up at?
4. How do you feel about couples who wear matching clothes or accessories such as hats, pins, bags?
5. Are men pickier than women when it comes do their dating partners?
6. In retrospect, is dating alright for high school students, or should they wait until college?
7. Do you think social media and online dating are eroding romance?
8. Are blind dates losing or gaining popularity in your country?
9. What percentage of college relationships in your country would you guess result in marriage and why?
10. How is your country’s dating culture different from the dating culture of English speaking countries?