We all need hobbies. They bring us joy and satisfaction.
The best thing about hobbies is you don’t have to be good at them. The funny thing is that when you love doing something you become naturally good at something.
How do you feel about your hobbies?
This ESL lesson will improve your English speaking ability and give you ideas for new hobbies.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. How would you describe their relationship?
2. Does the elderly man look comfortable?
3. Who do you think is winning the board game?
4. How long do you think it will take to finish the game?
5. Do you and your parents or grandparents share similar hobbies?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. What’s your hobby?
- Building models
- Comic book collecting
- Stamp collecting
- Doll collecting
- Learning languages
- Coin collecting
- Sports card collecting
- DVD collecting (movies)
- CD collecting (music)
- Playing a musical instrument
- Painting or Drawing
2. How many hours a week do you spend on your hobby?
- 1 hour
- 2-3 hours
- 4-5 hours
- 6-7 hours
- 8 + hours
3. How long have you practiced your hobby?
- A year
- A couple of years
- Several years
4. Which hobbies are the most popular in your country? (name three)
5. What hobby would you like to try?
6. Do you and your friends share any hobbies?
7. Do you think learning English is a hobby, or just work?
- It’s a hobby
- It’s work
8. How much money do you spend a month on your hobby?
- More than $500
9. Why do you have hobbies? (choose 2)
- Develop creativity
- Gain confidence
- Meet friends
- Free time
- Relieve stress
- Have fun
- New opportunities
- Don’t know
10. What prevents you from doing your hobby?
- Fear of what others will think
- Too expensive
- Unwilling to try something new alone
- It’s not available in my country
- Not enough time
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. What’s the man doing?
2. What do you think of his tattoos?
3. What types of tattoos can you see on his body?
4. Do you have tattoos or know anybody who does?
5. Would you like to have a tattoo? If so, of what?
6. In your culture are tattoos acceptable?
7. Do you think getting and collecting tattoos is a hobby?
8. Would your family and friends still respect you if you had a tattoo?
9. Can employers turn down someone for a job because they have tattoos?
10. Do you think most people who get at tattoo regret it when they get older?