Top 10 Qualities in Parents Every Kid Expects
What do you expect from your parents and what do you not expect?
If you were to create the perfect parents, what qualities would they have? Would they treat you and your siblings differently and would your relationship with them be better?
This ESL lesson will improve your English speaking skill and help you better understand some of the challenges your parents must go through to raise you.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. Why is the man wearing a suit and tie?
2. Who are the people behind him?
3. How old is the man turning?
4. How many gifts has he received?
5. What gifts would be appropriate for a man of his age?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. Do you live with both of your parents?
2. Do your parents both work?
3. Did your parents come from big families? (more than 3 brothers and/or sisters)
4. Where are your mother’s and father’s hometowns?
5. How did your parents meet?
- Through a friend
- In church, a mosque, or temple
- In high school or university
- Through family
- Through work
- In a public place (restaurant, bar, store, library, etc)
- While traveling
6. Have you ever visited their home towns?
7. What’s the biggest difference between your mother’s and father’s personalities?
- My mother/father is calmer
- My mother/father is more outgoing
- My mother/father is more energetic
- My mother/father is more adventurous
- My mother/father is more studious
- My mother/father is more patient
- My mother/father is more excitable
- My mother/father is _________________
8. Do you look more like your mother or father?
- My mother
- My father
9. Is your personality more like your mother’s or your father’s?
- My mother
- My father
10. What type of career would your parents like you to have?
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. Who do you think is taking their picture?
2. Could this girl be an “only child?”
3. Have you have a recent family portrait taken?
Being a parent is not an easy task. Good parenting means you are devoted to the well being and success of your children.
Take a look at the ten qualities of good parents below. Then give “real life” examples of how parents can demonstrate these qualities.
For example. Trust – “My mother trusts me to take care of my 5 year old brother while she goes shopping.”
Work with your classmates to create example situations and discuss.
Top 10 Qualities Kids Deserve from Their Parents
- Accept Change
- A good Teacher