What Books Should Every Human Read? An ESL Speaking Lesson
People enjoy reading because it takes them to a whole new place.
Places where we can experience adventure, learning, or let our imaginations run wild.
There are many ways to enjoy reading. Just visit a local or online bookstore or even your library.
This lesson will enhance your English conversation skills and give you ideas for interesting places to read, you may have never considered.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. Do you think the man is studying or reading for pleasure?
2. How long would you estimate it will it take him to finish his book?
3. What do you think is inside the red bag beside him?
4. Wouldn’t he be more comfortable reading in a library?
5. When was the last time you read a book outdoors?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. What books do you enjoy reading? Please choose each that applies to you.
- Science Fiction
- Self Improvement
2. How often do you read books?
- A couple of times a week
3. If you had more spare time, what books would you read more of?
4. Are you reading any books these days?
5. What’s the title of the book and who is the author?
6. Do you prefer paper back, hard cover, or e-books?
- Hard cover
7. For what reason(s) would you choose one format over the other?
8. Do you read book reviews?
9. Would you take a speed reading course?
10. Do you read books in foreign languages such as English?
- I’ve never tried
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. Where is this woman?
2. Why is she squatting?
3. What type of book is she most likely holding?
Now that you can carry a library of e-books with you anywhere you go, where do you prefer to do your reading?
If you had the afternoon off from school or work tomorrow and could relax alone for 2 hours to read that new book you just bought, where would you go?
Review the “10 best places to read” below and rank them from 1 (most favourite) to 10 (least favourite) Compare your choices with your instructor and classmates then discuss.
10 Best Places to Read
- In bed
- At the park
- In the library
- On the couch
- In a bookstore
- In a coffee shop
- In the bathtub
- On a beach
- In a hotel lobby
- On public transportation