Which Major Did you Choose and Why?
One of toughest decisions university students face is choosing a major and a career.
While your choice of major is not permanent, choosing the right major early on can save you a great deal of time and money.
How did you choose your major and are you satisfied with it?
This ESL lesson will improve your English skills and give you deeper focus on your major and your university experience.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. Why is only one student sitting at the front?
2. What type of lecture would you guess the professor is giving?
3. Why is he gesturing with his hands?
4. Why aren’t the students using notebooks or tablets to take notes?
5. How long do you think his lecture will last?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. What’s your major?
2. Why did you choose your major?
My parents persuaded me to take it.
I knew I could get a job easily when I graduate.
I have always been very interested in that subject.
It was my only choice based on my GPA.
I’m really not sure why I chose it.
3. What’s your minor?
4. How many lectures do you attend per week?
5. Do you attend online lectures?
6. How often do you skip lectures and just get the notes from your classmates?
7. Which lectures do you enjoy the most and why?
8. If you could switch your major, would you?
9. Do you have plans to complete a Masters or Ph.D?
10. What’s unique about your university?
It’s a top 10 rated school.
It has the best campus.
It has the top professors.
It has best sports teams
It has a beautiful campus.
It’s an all womens’ university.
It’s a religious university.
It has a unique history.
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. Why do you think they are drinking?
2. Is what they’re doing illegal?
3. How many days a week do you think the typical student at your university drinks?
4. Are you a member of a fraternity or sorority?
5. How many times over the last two weeks have you or your friends had 5 or more drinks in a row?
6. Have you witnessed ‘binge’ drinking among students at your university?
7. Has drinking every caused you or your friends to miss class or get behind in school work?
8. Have you witnessed arguments, fights, or crimes at your school because of other students’ drinking?
9. Have you ever gone out for beers with your professors?
10. Do you think college students drink more than office workers in your country?