Why Kids Should Play Sports – ESL Speaking Lesson
As teens it is important to be physically active to get rid of stress and help us lead healthier lives.
Sports is a great way to achieve these things. But, playing sports offers us more than just physical benefits. Sports help kids academically and socially as well.
Do you agree with these “benefits” of sports?
This ESL lesson will enhance your English speaking skill and teach you the value of sports.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. Do you think this field is a good surface for playing soccer?
2. What are the odds the goal keeper will stop the ball?
3. Is the penalty shooter wearing soccer cleats or regular sneakers?
4. What position do you usually take when you play soccer and why?
5. Have you ever seen a live World Cup soccer match?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. Do you play sports with friends?
2. Do you play on a school sports team?
3. What’s the most popular team sport in your country?
4. What is your favorite team sport to play?
5. How often do you watch your favorite professional sports team play on TV?
6. Do you watch the Olympics?
If no, why not?
7. What’s your favorite summer Olympic sport?
Track and Field
8. What’s your favorite winter Olympic sport?
Cross country skiing
9. Do you think professional athletes are worth what they are paid?
10. Who are 3 most popular sports stars in your country?
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. What sport are these boys playing?
2. Does it appear that they’re fighting?
3. What violence in sports have you witnessed?
4. Do you think violence in sports is necessary?
5. Should professional athletes be fined or suspended if they commit an act of violence?
6. What sport do you feel is the most violent?
7. Do you watch “ultimate fighting”on television?
8. How does violence increase the sale of tickets?
9. Have you ever been involved in a violent act when playing sports?
10. What do you think is the more common cause of violence in sports: competitiveness or bad sportsmanship?