7 Reasons Why Frequent Travelers Are Usually More Successful
Success is defined differently for every person. However, most would agree that if you want to be successful than traveling frequently helps.
Why? Because travel exposes you to other cultures and helps you understand people better.
This ESL lesson will enhance your English skills and share reasons why frequent travelers are usually more successful that those that don’t.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo – Frequent Travelers Are Usually More Successful
1. How would you describe the terrain?
2. What does his body language tell you?
3. Name three items he’s probably got in his backpack?
4. Would you prefer to wear sandals, running shoes, or boots while hiking?
5. Would you go hiking in a foreign country alone?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It – Frequent Travelers Are Usually More Successful
1. Which type of overseas traveler would you say fits your character?
- Budget traveler (backpack and hostels)
- Study and travel traveler (take classes while traveling)
- Work & travel traveler (working holiday)
- Luxury traveler (nice hotels and tour guides)
2. While traveling abroad, what would you probably pay most attention to?
- Directions (to new places)
- Prices (currency conversions, buying souvenirs)
- Menu items (food and drink)
- Accommodation changes (hotel or guest house)
- Schedules (bus, plane, boat)
- Understanding the local language
3. Do you enjoy traveling because you get to live in the moment?
- Not really
4. Which would put the biggest smile on your face while traveling?
- Exploring new places
- Meeting new people
- Eating new and delicious food
- Living in the moment
- Something else
5. What comes most naturally to you when you travel?
- Asking questions because I’m curious
- Making conversations with the locals
- Adapting to the culture of the locals
- Picking up the local language
6. Which overseas travel arrangement would you most prefer?
- Traveling with a buddy
- Traveling in a group
- Traveling alone
- Traveling with parents
- Traveling with a sibling
- Traveling with your girlfriend/boyfriend
7. Which type of spot would you most find the most scenic?
- A view of the sea
- A view from a mountain top
- A view of the city lights at night
- A view of a famous piece of architecture
- A view of paintings in an art gallery
8. How would you rate your bargaining skills while traveling in a foreign country?
9. What would be your biggest concern while doing international travel?
- Getting pick-pocketed
- Losing my passport
- Not being able get a hotel room late at night
- Inability read a menu in a foreign language
- Missing a bus, boat, or flight
- Finding out my credit cards won’t work
- Getting ripped off by a taxi driver
- Getting lost
10. Where would you most like to travel to next?
Part III: Share Your Opinions – Frequent Travelers Are Usually More Successful
Discuss the Photo
1. Why is she in the back of an open truck?
2. What country could she be traveling through?
3. Would this type of activity be out of your comfort zone?
Below are seven reasons why people who travel frequently tend to be more successful in life.
Read through the reasons alone. Identify situations where you’ve demonstrated these traits (while traveling or during every day life).
“Once I got lost while traveling in Bangkok. I found a shopkeeper (who spoke English) and asked him for directions. I was able to find my way back to my hotel”. The trait is: getting out of your comfort zone.
Lastly, share your stories with your instructor and peers.
7 Reasons Why Regular Travelers Are More Likely To Be Successful
- They know how to live in the moment because they must move to a new destination daily.
- They are more accepting of people from different cultures.
- They are more confident because when they travel they must get out of their comfort zone and handle new situations.
- They know how to negotiate to avoid getting ripped off while traveling.
- They aren’t afraid of change. Traveling is about experiencing change. Changes in language, people, culture.
- They thrive outside of their comfort zones. Traveling can put you in difficult situations you must overcome.
- They can see beauty in places where other might only see the mundane. This stimulates creativity.
Did this lesson engage and inspire your students? Kindly leave a comment below and/or share this lesson.