Best Time and Place to Do Homework – ESL Lesson
A researcher at a famous American university claimed that too much homework isn’t good for teens.
Too much homework can cause stress and health problems. Also it affects their relationships outside of school with family and friends.
Do you agree?
This lesson will enhance your English speaking ability and help you develop exceptional homework habits.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. Why are they holding different coloured books?
2. Who looks more academic?
3. Would you say they are “honours” students?
4. Wouldn’t they be more comfortable sitting on the curb?
5. Would they be better off studying alone?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. In what subjects do you have the most homework?
- Social Studies
- Computer Science
2. When is the best time for you to do your homework?
- Early morning before classes start
- Late afternoon right after classes end
- Mid evening after dinner
- Late evening before bed
3. Do you prefer to do homework alone, or with a friend?
- With a friend
4. Do you have to write essays in school?
5. If yes, how many essays have you written this year? What were the essay topics?
6. How many tests do you have to take per subject?
7. How do you memorize names, dates, facts or formulas?
- I highlight them in my textbooks
- I underline or circle them in my textbooks
- I say them aloud to myself
- I write notes and tape or pin them on my desk
8. I “cram” for exams.
9. My favourite place to do my homework is:
- My bedroom
- The library
- A coffee shop
- In a park (if the weather is good)
- In an empty classroom
- My living room
10. Getting good grades in middle school is easier than high school.
- Somewhat Agree
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Discuss the Photo
1. What grade would you say these girls are in?
2. Are they putting their books on the shelves?
3. Why do they have several books each?
4. How would you rate your study skills on a scale of 1-5? 1 being “poor” and 5 being “excellent”.
5. If you were the president of your country, what would you change in the education system?
6. Do you think “college entrance exams are fair to students?
7. How would you feel about studying outside of school with a tutor, or at a private institute?
8. Would you like to be a school teacher?
9. Do you feel you have enough free time as a student, or do you spend too much time studying?
10. How would you feel if your parents asked you to go to an English speaking country to attend a high school there, and live with a family for 3 years?