Lesson #4: Present Progressive – Speaking Activity
This ESL lesson targets the Present Progressive verb tense.
It is highly engaging because it evokes natural conversation from your students as you move them through three photographs asking them questions.
Your students will also have a chance to ask other students questions using the simple future until the class becomes comfortable with this verb structure.
Part I: Questions about the Photo – Present Progressive
Instructions: Teacher asks students questions about the photo.
- Are they wearing matching outfits?
- Is the man putting on his shorts?
- Are they putting sun screen on their faces?
- Is the man sitting comfortably?
- Is the boat heading for shore?
- Is the woman smiling or frowning at the camera?
- Are the waves crashing hard against the boat?
- Is the man raising the sail?
- Are they sitting at the front, middle, or back of the boat?
- Is the man dangling his feet over the side of the boat?
Part 2: Questions about the Photo – Present Progressive
Instructions: Students take turns asking each other questions about the picture below:
Note: If there is only one student and one teacher, then the teacher continues asking the student the ten questions below.
- Is the woman getting a drink from the water cooler?
- Are the two men having a conversation?
- Is one of the women passing out plastic cups?
- Are they taking a break from their work?
- Is the older man looking over his shoulder at the clock?
- Is one of the women replacing the water bottle?
- Are they all wearing suits?
- Is one of the women putting on her glasses?
- Are the two men facing each other?
- Are the office workers enjoying themselves?
Part 3: Questions about the Photo – Present Progressive
Instructions: Teacher asks student(s) five questions in a similar context as the photo.
- Are you concentrating on this photograph?
- Are you resting or studying right now ?
- Are you thinking about buying a new camera, tablet, or laptop?
- Are you wearing eye glasses?
- Are you getting hungry for a cookie or pastry?
Instructions: Students take turns asking each other the five questions in a similar context as the photo.
- Are you lying down or sitting?
- Are you speaking English with me?
- Are you wearing a sweater or short-sleeved t-shirt?
- Are you wondering what you’ll have for dinner tonight?
- Are you enjoying this English-speaking activity?
Did this lesson engage and inspire your students? Kindly leave a comment below and/or share this lesson.