Mobile Devices Will Exceed the World’s Population – ESL Lesson
The explosion of mobile devices has allowed use to put our life’s data in our hands.
We all want to stay connected and informed and our phones and tablets make it easy to achieve this.
Could you survive without your mobile device for even a day?
This lesson will enhance your English speaking abilities and show you which activities you’re spending most of your time on your mobile devices.
Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. Where is this woman and is she taking a “Selfie”?
2. Do you think she’s a tourist, a local, or a fashion model?
3. How long would it take her to walk to the tower?
4. What time of year would you say it is?
5. Where have you been in Europe?
Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. How many mobile devices do you own?
More than 3 devices
2. Do you own a tablet?
3. What brand(s) of mobile device(s) do you own?
4. Why did you choose that brand?
Look and feel
5. Are you 100% satisfied with it? If not, why?
6. Do you think your cell phone usage justifies the monthly service fee?
7. How many apps do you have on your smartphone?
8. What’s the #1 app you can’t live without?
9. What “distracted driving” activities have you done in in the past 7 days? Choose all that apply.
Not using a “hands free” device
A different activity
None of the above
10. What did you learn about your mobile device(s) today? Check all that apply.
My monthly fee is too high
I need a technology upgrade
I should download some new apps
I should unplug my devices and relax more
Part III: Share Your Opinions
Rank the 10 mobile device activities below from 1 being “most frequent” to 10 being “least frequent” activities performed by people (in your country).
Discuss and try to reach consensus with your instructor and peers.
10 Mobile Activities
- Phone calls
- Taking pictures
- Using maps
- Reading ebooks
- Shopping online
- Using apps
- Watching video/TV
- Web surfing