Successful People: 10 Everyday Habits They Knowingly Reject
Successful people often have similar, daily habits they follow each day like getting up early and exercising.
But, what about the habits they consciously avoid?
This ESL lesson will improve your English communication skills and make you aware of 10 habits that you need to avoid if you strive to be successful.
Successful People – Part I: Let’s Chat about the Photo
1. Who appears to be the senior person at the table?
2. Is there a lot of diversity in this group?
3. How would you describe the mood in the room?
4. Which department (finance, marketing, sales, HR, etc) do they probably represent?
5. Do your internal meetings tend to focus on positives, negatives, problems, or failures?
Successful People – Part II: Take the Survey and Talk About It
1. My ability to make decisions quickly and stick with them is:
- Needs improvement
2. I’d like to improve my ________ health. (Choose all that apply)
3. I work hard but play hard too.
- Partially agree
4. I make excuses if I don’t accomplish something.
- 100% of the time
- 50% of the time
- 25% of the time
- 10% of the time
- 0% of the time
5. I don’t care what my co-workers think about me.
6. I hang around negative people.
7. I am a perfectionist.
- Somewhat agree
8. In my job I am most motivated by:
- Fear of being let go (terminated)
- Recognition or awards
9. Who helps you set goals and holds you accountable for your work related decisions?
- My friend(s)
- My manager(s)
- My mentor(s)
- My business coach
- My partner or spouse
10. Right before you go to bed tonight what will you give thanks for?
- My job
- My health
- My family
Successful People – Part III: Share Your Opinions
Successful People – Discuss the Photo
1. Does the man look like an executive or a sales representative?
2. What goals do you think he’s set for himself today?
3. Do you think he’s most motivated by learning, promotion, or money?
Successful People – Discussion Activity
Nobody is perfect. In fact, all of us need to periodically reflect on our daily habits that hinder our success.
Below you’ll find ten everyday habits that will suck your time, energy, and happiness.
Choose and rank the top 4 habits you need to avoid, just like successful people do. Then discuss your 4 choices with your teacher and peers.
10 Everyday Habits Successful People Knowingly Reject
- They don’t measure their success with money
- They don’t start their day without a plan
- They don’t set perfection as a goal
- They don’t hang around with negative people
- They don’t dwell on negatives, problems, or failures
- They don’t worry about how others judge them
- They don’t make excuses
- They don’t get jealous of other peoples’ wins
- They don’t neglect their health
- They don’t stop learning
Did this lesson engage and inspire your students? Kindly leave a comment below and/or share this lesson.